Friday, January 07, 2005

It's Raining Work, Hallelujah!

every day this week, i've gotten phone calls about some sort of employment opportunity. it's been amazing and completely unprecendented, unexpected and a bit surreal. most of the calls have been from the temp agency i recently signed up with. those fuckers have been hard at work for me, and i must give them mad props. at least four different recruiters have called me offering various opportunities. i've tried to say 'yes' to almost everything because i'm so cash hungry and eager to work, work, work. that's the big resolution of the year -- to work, work, work. whereas 2004 was a year of rest and recovery following two treacherous years of graduate school and hellish heartache, 2005 will be all about the mighty dollar and me as the mighty mouse. (sorry, that was dorky.)

so yes, the new temp agency rocks, making me abandon my old temp agency altogether. i also received a phone call from a place i interviewed with months ago -- they never hired me, citing something about budgets or timing or whatever -- that offered me about five days worth of freelance work in the coming weeks, which i quickly snatched up. i went in yesterday for a full day, have three days lined up for next week and then one more the following week. and THEN, i got a call for a job i applied to weeks ago and forgot about. when the guy called me for an interview, i figured he was yet another recruiter from the agency and we began some weird dialogue that ended in confusion on both our parts. after i figured it out and apologized profusively, we set up an interview, and i interviewed. we'll see how that goes. and to top it off, i'm still working for my mistress zee, mostly from home, and that should continue for about another month. i see some 12-hour workdays in my future, but you know what, a 12-hour workday would do me good right about now.

let's hope this deluge of opportunities maintains, because i need to do some serious making up for the past few months of inactivity. the new year should also be the year of new stuffs, like new couches and possibly a new car, perhaps a new dog, a vacation to somewhere i've never been before. i've made a wish list that only keeps lengthening.

and this LA rain rocks, especially when you can work from home, as i have been doing. it's so toasty in my pad. i'm in my warm sweats and slippers, making homemade meals daily, taking all the breaks i want while still getting my work done. only problem is that it can get quiet and rather lonely. i'll traverse through my day all self-contained and isolated, barely uttering a word to anyone but juice. then the phone will ring in the evening and maybe it's a friend or my parents and suddenly, i'm either chewing their ear off or have forgotten how to form words altogether. i motormouth or bumble, depending on my caffiene intake.

so while working from home has its benefits, i find myself yearning for the office, at least a day or two a week. that would be my ideal situation because i am a social animal. yet i know that too many days in an office space would shrivel my soul into a little unhappy raisin. something about that flourescent lighting, that drone of computers, those same complacent faces day in and out -- ugh. i poopoo on that conformity. (though i fear i shall succumb one day.)

No comments: